In 2018, the United Nations General Assembly declared June 7th, as the World Food Safety Day. Today, June 7, 2019, marks the first anniversary of and the theme declared by UN is ‘Food Safety, everyone’s business. The UN has designated two of its agencies i.e. the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to go with the promotion of food safety across the world. The UN has highlighted the importance of collective action to reduce the problems posed by the issue and to ensure that the development goes hand-in-hand. The UN is expecting that individuals and organizations at various levels will get evolved in tackling the issues quickly and effectively.
The UN has developed a guideline related to it which underlines the necessary steps for food safety and how we can achieve it. Here are the five key points:
- Governments must ensure safe and nutritious food for all
- Agriculture and food producers need to adopt good practices
- Business operators must make sure food is safe
- All consumers have a right to safe, healthy and nutritious food
- Food safety is a shared responsibility
Customers needs to be educated and should educate people regarding the diseases and risks associated with different food items, the effect of chemicals, food wastage etc.