IIT Delhi has inaugurated the Centre for Automotive Research and Tribology (CART) on May 31, 2019, with a vision to become an internationally recognized centre in teaching, research, and technological service in the area of Electric Vehicles, Energy Storage & Monitoring, Automotive Health Monitoring, Calibration & Diagnostics and Tribology. CART has emerged from ITMMEC, a centre established in the 70’s that focused on Industrial Tribology and was nationally and internationally an acclaimed research centre in its focus area.
CART envisages strong networking & collaboration among various industries, research labs and universities in India and abroad to carry out cutting edge research in the area of automotive research and tribology along with offering Post Graduate programs.Other departments and centres of IIT Delhi, which will be playing a key role in the interdisciplinary research along with CART include Electrical Engineering, Center for Energy Studies, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Computer Science & Engineering.
CART’s focused research areas will include:
- Design, development and analysis of Electric Vehicle Motors and Drives.
- Optimal sizing and design of battery packs, power train and chargers for on board Electric Vehicles.
- Automotive health monitoring and development of Battery Management System (BMS).
- Design, development, analysis and testing of suitable power converter topology (AC-DC, DC-AC and DC-DC) and controller for various applications like V2G, G2V capability, operation of Electronic Loads and others.
- Ancillary services and Demand Side Management (DSM) with electric vehicles.
- Development of smart and secure infrastructure for charging station, battery health monitoring etc.
- Development of Tribo-material, Tribo-dynamics, studies of Bulk Material Handling, NVH and Condition monitoring, Reliability and Maintenance, Design and performance of tribological elements.